Final Piece analysis

My final piece was a mixed media abstract representation of an imaginary skyline, with some figurative aspects such as planets. The piece was based off my previous media experiments, in which I explored the use of materials for my final.

I chose to create a large piece because I felt that a larger scale would allow for more space to showcase more textures and materials, as a smaller scale would be too squashed together, taking away from the the different textures and not allowing for the planets to be evenly spaced out.

Below is the plastic board I used before media was added to it.  The board was plane white so the colours were not diluted, and could be taken off with clothes to reveal the white of the surface materials in some places.  This means that in areas where the ink runs in a horizontal or vertical line, it can be rubbed off so that there are not too many lines taking focus away from the piece.

18290111_1888386071406645_256259082_o

As you can see when I first started I used red and blue ink and then later added green ink. This meant that where the ink mixed it became darker, in some cases almost black in colour. This may have made the piece too dark so I overcame this later on by adding more white to the piece, in the form of emulsion mixed with red, as well as blue and green. This could then be manipulated with a paintbrush as well as tipping the board to allow for a natural flow of materials. The paintbrush offered some control over the placement of certain aspects. For example the red and white emulsion sections that are blended into purple at the top of the piece.  By using a wish washy motion the red and white mixed together with some darker and lighter areas. As the board was tipped the ink did create parallel lines but this was minimised at the end so that piece was not segmented.

 

18254541_1888385481406704_1136819853_n
End of the first day

18302426_1888385501406702_589310271_n

This close up shows a heavy amount of glue next to wet ink. Left to dry naturally the glue and ink will eventually distil into each other and blend however this will leave clear lines where the different inks meet within the glue. As shown below the ratio of glue and ink is important for the outcome. More ink means more colour and more glue means a thicker texture.   This can be seen below..

18254333_1888385374740048_519851942_n

 

18254641_1888385411406711_171720497_n
Glue and red ink

I continued to layer up the piece. This meant adding more ink, glue and emulsion strategically in areas that I felt they would look best. The difficult part of this was making sure that the ink did not run into other parts. which is particularly difficult when two different areas are wet and the board needs to be tipped in order for the ink to spread. A downside of this method is the unpredictability and the time it takes to dry.

18254537_1888385348073384_1265984190_n

18281091_1888385364740049_362147515_n
Red ink and glue

Once several layers had been added and the materials had dried I used spray paint to add the planets. I selected the three colours I thought worked best in my spray paint experiments and used the same method ( using a plate).  I fit the planets within the materials, allowing for them to overlap into each other so that the piece fit together and flowed. I chose areas that would seem like the materials are reacting with the planet ( for example the red clouds swirling around the shape of the yellow planet). Using a small plant pot I added a small moon to the red planet as many planets have a moon or even several moons.  I chose three moons so that  they could be evenly spread out and not feel clustered.  Less is more.

18136516_1885111501734102_766931962_n

I used my long exposure photographs to bring energy and light into the piece. It adds a sense of movement that is apparent in space as well as having elements of the supernatural ie space crafts. in order to blend the lights into the piece I used a penknife and cut into the shape of the photograph, around the light. I then added more ink over this.

I thought that the photographs created a nice layer when overlapping with the spray painted planets, as shown on the blue planet.

18280246_1888385144740071_1771288724_n

 

Although there was different shades of colours I tried to stick to a simple colour palette.  Mainly reds, blues and greens, as well as shades of light and dark. The colours reflect all the representations of space that I have seen that so often use these colours.

Overall I think what went well was the layout, colours and texture of the piece, If i was to do it again I would keep it similar perhaps changing the layout but overall I am, happy with the outcome. The one thing I would improve is the images of long exposure that I would cut before placing on the board so that they do not become stuck down and tear.   If I was to name the piece it would be called “abstract galaxy in space”.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s